Friday, April 8, 2011

The Bridges of Madison County

A couple of weeks ago me and a co-worker had to work out of town over in Winterset, Ia.  What an interesting area.  In town you have John Wayne's birthplace, along with a really cool bronze statue.  As well as this "castle" type thing out in  one of the parks.  We got a little time to go and check out a few of the covered bridges.  I've never seen the movie that some of these bridges where in but they where pretty cool to see.

So far after doing some research on the net, there used to be 19 covered bridges in Madison county, but today only 6 remain, and only one you can still drive across.  I wish I would of had done some research ahead of time to know more about the bridges.  I did just learn the bridge you can drive across was just repaired in 95 after an arson fire, and I guess they have had a few problems with this.  We noticed a box at each end of the bridges, that housed camera's.  We where guessing it was trying catch anyone up to no good.

It was awesome to see the old construction of the bridges.  Very interesting plus using curved pieces of woods back in the day these where built.  It had to be quite the task building them.  It your in the area and have some time, check them out, they are really neat to see.  I'll leave you with some pictures I took of them.








No comments:

Post a Comment