Friday, June 24, 2011

4.5 Terrain Challenge

It's been a very long time since I've made a post and figured it was about time to start getting caught up.  I started working on this series of caches over in Boone, Ia and just south of there.  Since there are 9 caches in this series, and I have yet to finish it up, I'll just talk about 3 of them located in McHose Park.

This park is very deceiving but has some really neat hidden away things.  At first I thought this is going to be a piece of cake, but remember I had spinal surgery and the ravines where really testing me and I walked away that day in a lot of pain.  But I found this trail that lead near the caches so then I just had to climb down and up the ravines.  This is a pic of me standing down in the ravine.  You don't get the full feel of the 100 feet climb out of them though.



Then as I was going along I realized this trail used to be a old road years and year ago and ran into a spot where an upside down bridge was.  It was too early in the morning to get my feet wet and hike around with wet boots all day so I looked for another way to cross.




Also here was some neat river banks I saw that I thought really were cool.  Plus there is a disc golf  course and you have to toss the disc across the stream.

As I was walking along this trail I found a really odd thing.  It's hard to explain so I thought I would just show the photo of it.
I took a few to relax while I was here and examine it some.  After a bit of a break I kept going down the trail and I finally found a bridge that crossed the stream.  But on the way there I noticed across the stream a small tunnel.  So when I did get over to that area, I had to climb down and check it out.



After checking this stuff out I went and found the last of this series in this park.  I also grabbed a couple of other caches while I was in the park, but I just thought this whole hidden area that isn't visited by very many held some really neat and historic things.  I really just thought the best way to explain was to use photos I took.  If your in the are and have some time check these out.  I really had a good time in this park.  There are a few other caches in this park I'd like to check out as well.  Again, this was just the first half of this series.  I think I found 6 of them that day, before I just had to bail due to my neck.  I've been busting my butt trying to build my neck and shoulder back up to par.  My neck is doing great, but having a lot of shoulder problems.

Happy and safe caching!!!

Tape worm

No comments:

Post a Comment