Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Galena Bike Trail

I took on a few TC along the Galena Bike trail a week or so ago.  This was a very nice trail to take a ride on, for one, it's all flat. lol   But near the start of it was a small spring.  That I thought was really neat.


This spring looked like just water was bubbling up from the center.  As I was over here checking it out, another bike rider rode over to me and asked it there was any side trails.  Which I had no idea as this was my first time on the trail.







After reading about the spring and watching it for a bit, it was time to head on down the trail to look for a couple of caches.  This was a nice trail.  Most of it was pea gravel, which is nice to ride on.  The caches I was after where about 2 miles out, and I think 2 miles was the end of the trail.

My first stop was at a cache called Cabin Fever.  I don't know how woodsie found this but it was pretty interesting to see.  If you read my log on the cache, most of it was just joking around saying as I got close I saw this neon sign saying "Eat at Woodsies".  This rusted out "cabin" is barely standing, but was very interesting to check out.  It was just a one room cabin with what looked some sort of fireplace furnace, in the middle of it.


The cabin from a distance.

Inside the cabin.

After checking it out, I didn't stick around long as the sketters where eating me alive.  The rest of the trip, I was wondering who build this, and why.  Why would it be so small?  Questions that I don't think I'll ever get answered.

Then it was on to the next Terracaching, End of the line.  Again getting back on the bike trail, was quite a relief as I was able to out run the sketters, and biting flys.  This one was located near the end of the trail, which is where I ran into some trouble.  I had to do a second dose of bug spray cause the first coat was just like adding flavoring to me.  Which you know what I mean if you've ever had that burning feeling from using too much bug spray.  This area was neat as there was a picnic table, and a bench where you could watch trains go by on the tracks.  There is also a geocache near the TC as well, but I never was able to lay eyes on it, but the forest floor at spots was armpit deep, and I tripped over a few logs on the ground you couldn't see.  I found an old "cellar" type object here too.



When I finally found the Terracache, it was a sight for sore eyes.  A nicely stocked  ammo can.  I think all I got in the log book was my name, and the work sketters.  They where so bad over here, I didn't stick around long.  But I had a great time hunting these two, and again just wonder how he found that cabin.

Happy and safe caching!!!

Tape worm

No comments:

Post a Comment